Gifted Education Program
Battlefield High School
In Prince William County Public Schools,our vision centers on the concept that “all students will learn to their fullest potential.” Our School Division philosophy of gifted education reflects this vision. Gifted education services are designed to foster the academic development of advanced learners.
Gifted Education Mission Statement:
At Battlefield High School, we are committed to offering the best in differentiated services for our gifted students. Our mission is to provide relevant quality educational opportunities for all students to develop the skills necessary to reach their maximum potential as responsible, productive citizens, and life-long learners. We realize gifted students have exceptional educational needs which must be met in order for them to reach their full potential, both intellectually and emotionally. In order to fulfill these educational needs, gifted education services at Battlefield High School are offered in the form of:
• Advanced courses (pre-AP and Advanced Placement courses).
• Cohorted Gifted sections through English and Science classes during the 9th and 10th grades.
• Pull-out Socratic seminars, which are open-ended, interdisciplinary discussions emphasizing critical
thinking, problem solving, communication and metacognitive skills offered during the 11th and 12th grades.
• The senior-level GEMS (Gifted Educational Multidisciplinary Studies with Research) course offered during
the 12th grade.
• The opportunity to apply for the Residential Governor’s Schools and the Governor’s School at Innovation
Park for math and science.